The Top 10 Free Things to Do in Vancouver, BC, are activites you can do year-round, but summer in Vancouver is a special time. There are so many free things to do in Vancouver, BC, during summer that these free Vancouver summer events deserve their own list!
Use this list to find Summer 2013's best free things to do in Vancouver, BC, from watching the annual Celebration of Light Fireworks to free festivals, markets, kids' activities, and more.
For even more summer fun, see also: Summer in Vancouver: Top 10 Summer Events & Activities
1. Free Vancouver Summer Festivals
Summer's free festivals--which feature live music, roving performers, street fairs and more--are some of the best free things to do in Vancouver!
- Italian Day on Commercial Drive - June 9, 2013
- Vancouver Car-Free Festivals - June 16, 2013
- Rio Tinto Alcan Dragon Boat Festival - June 21 - 23, 2013
- Greek Day 2013 - June 23, 2013
- Canada Day Celebrations in Vancouver - July 1, 2013
- Carnaval del sol - July 6 - 7, 2013
- Surrey Fusion Festival - July 20 - 21, 2013
- Caribbean Days Festival - July 27 - 28, 2013
- Vancouver Pride Parade & Festival - August 4, 2013
2. Free Summer Music Concerts & Music Festivals
Enjoying free music concerts and festivals are some of the best free things to do in Vancouver this summer!
- Make Music Vancouver - June 21, 2013
- Vancouver International Jazz Festival Free Concerts - June 21 - July 1, 2013
- Khatsahlano Music & Arts Festival - July 13, 2013
- Summer Sunday Concerts in Port Moody - Sundays, July 7 - August 25, 2013
3. Free Vancouver Summer Night Markets
Along with the annual Fireworks Competition, there are no free summer events more beloved by Vancouverites than the seasonal summer night markets in Richmond and Vancouver's Chinatown, all of which include free entertainment and are open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. These Asian-style night markets are free (or nearly free--the Richmond Night Market has a $1 admission charge) to explore, though you will want to bring cash for the fabulous food!
4. Vancouver Fireworks - Celebration of Lights Fireworks
If there is one event that defines summer in Vancouver, it's the Celebration of Light international fireworks festival: three nights of the best fireworks displays you've ever seen. This may be the best of all the wonderful free things to do in Vancouver this summer!
- Vancouver Fireworks: Celebration of Light Fireworks Competition - July 27, July 31, and August 3, 2013
5. Free Salsa Dancing in Robson Square
One of the more unique free things to do in Vancouver this summer is the free salsa dancing series in downtown Vancouver's Robson Square (across from the Vancouver Art Gallery). Every Sunday Afternoon Salsa event includes free beginner salsa lessons and "social dancing" that's open to everyone, regardless of skill level.
- Sunday Afternoon Salsa in Robson Square - June 30 - August 25, 2013
6. Free Vancouver Water Parks for Kids
Looking for free things to do in Vancouver when the weather is hot? Head to one of Vancouver's gorgeous beaches or let the kids run wild at one of Vancouver's free summer water parks.
- Granville Island Water Park & Variety Kids Water Park at Stanley Park- June 1 - September 2, 2013
7. Free Ballroom Dancing in Robson Square
Organized by DanceSport BC, the Robson Square Summer Dance Series offers ballroom dance lessons every Friday at 8pm, show dances at 9pm and 10pm, and a chance to dance the night away under the Robson Square dome, in the heart of downtown Vancouver.
- Robson Square Summer Dance Series - June 28 - August 30, 2013
8. Free Vancouver Outdoor Movies
Outdoor movies are a summer tradition in Vancouver, with several different venues offering free outdoor movies throughout July and August. Showtimes start at dusk (around 9pm). Get details on locations from the Fresh Air Cinema site
9. Special for 2013: Stanley Park 125th Anniversary Celebration
Stanley Park celebrates its 125th anniversary in August 2013 with a free, two-day celebration at the park. The party features five entertainment zones at Stanley Park's biggest attractions, including all-day outdoor concerts at Second Beach, kids' performers and activities at Lumberman's Arch, sports at Brockton Point, and a sing-a-long with TUTS.
- Celebrate! Stanley Park - August 24 - 25, 2013