The Top 10 Free Things to Do in Vancouver, BC, are activites you can do year-round, but summer in Vancouver is a special time. There are so many free things to do in Vancouver, BC, during summer that these free Vancouver summer events deserve their own list!
Use this list to find Summer 2014's best free things to do in Vancouver, BC, from watching the annual Celebration of Light Fireworks to free festivals, markets, kids' activities, and more.
For even more summer fun, see also: Summer in Vancouver: Top 10 Summer Events & Activities
1. Free Vancouver Summer Festivals
Summer's free festivals--which feature live music, roving performers, street fairs and more--are some of the best free things to do in Vancouver!
- Italian Day on Commercial Drive- June 8, 2014
- Vancouver Car-Free Festivals - June 15, 2014
- Rio Tinto Alcan Dragon Boat Festival - June 20 - 22, 2014
- Greek Day on Broadway - June 22, 2014
- Canada Day Celebrations in Vancouver - July 1, 2014
- Carnaval del sol - July 5 - 6, 2014
- Surrey Fusion Festival - July 19 - 20, 2014
- Caribbean Days Festival - July 26 - 27, 2014
- Vancouver Pride Parade & Festival - August 1 - 3, 2014
2. Free Summer Music Concerts & Music Festivals
Enjoying free music concerts and festivals are some of the best free things to do in Vancouver this summer!
- Make Music Vancouver - June 21, 2014
- Vancouver International Jazz Festival Free Concerts - June 20 - July 1, 2014
- Khatsahlano Music & Arts Festival - July 12, 2014
- CBC Musical Nooners - July 4 - August 1, 2014
- Summer Sunday Concerts in Port Moody - Sundays, July 6 - August 24, 2014
3. Almost-Free Vancouver Summer Night Markets
Vancouverites love our summer night markets! There are two huge, Asian-style night markets in Richmond (that are almost free--it's just $2 for admission) plus the free, farmers-market-style Shipyards Night Market in North Vancouver.
4. Vancouver Fireworks - Celebration of Lights Fireworks
If there is one event that defines summer in Vancouver, it's the Celebration of Light international fireworks festival: three nights of the best fireworks displays you've ever seen. This may be the best of all the wonderful free things to do in Vancouver this summer!
- Vancouver Fireworks: Celebration of Light Fireworks Competition - July 26, July 30, and August 2, 2014
5. Free Ballroom Dancing in Robson Square
Organized by DanceSport BC, the Robson Square Summer Dance Series offers ballroom dance lessons every Friday at 8pm, show dances at 9pm and 10pm, and a chance to dance the night away under the Robson Square dome, in the heart of downtown Vancouver.
- Robson Square Summer Dance Series - June 27 - August 29, 2014
6. Free Vancouver Water Parks for Kids
Looking for free things to do in Vancouver when the weather is hot? Head to one of Vancouver's gorgeous beaches or let the kids run wild at one of Vancouver's free summer water parks.
- Granville Island Water Park & Variety Kids Water Park at Stanley Park- May 17 - September 1, 2014
7. Free Salsa Dancing in Robson Square
One of the more unique free things to do in Vancouver this summer is the free salsa dancing series in downtown Vancouver's Robson Square (across from the Vancouver Art Gallery). Every Sunday Afternoon Salsa event includes free beginner salsa lessons and "social dancing" that's open to everyone, regardless of skill level.
- Sunday Afternoon Salsa in Robson Square - June 29 - August 24
8. Free Vancouver Outdoor Movies
Outdoor movies are a summer tradition in Vancouver, with several different venues offering free outdoor movies throughout July and August. Showtimes start at dusk (around 9pm). Get details on locations from the Fresh Air Cinema site
- The Lego Movie - July 8 at Second Beach at Stanley Park
- Back to the Future - July 10 at Canada Place
- Pretty in Pink - July 15 at Second Beach at Stanley Park
- Liar, Liar - July 17 at Canada Place
- Footloose - July 22 at Second Beach at Stanley Park
- Austin Powers - July 24 at Canada Place
- Mean Girls - July 29 at Second Beach at Stanley Park
- Uncle Buck - July 31 at Canada Place
- Despicable Me 2 - August 9, 2014 at Trout Lake Park
- E.T. - August 20, 2014, at Westbrook Village