By now, we all know the benefits of eating local--it keeps our carbon footprint low, helps the environment and supports our local growers and farmers. But there's a great foodie benefit too: Fresher fruits and vegetables burst with greater flavour than their flown-in counterparts.
Vancouver Farmers Markets have been flourishing in the city since their debut in 1995. Along with produce and plants, you'll also find crafts, prepared food, farm-raised meats and local seafood.
The eponymous Vancouver Farmers Markets are organized by a society of local farmers markets. There are five Vancouver Farmers Markets open in summer, and one open through fall/winter.
Summer Vancouver Farmers Markets:
- Trout Lake Farmers Market (map): Saturdays, 9am - 2pm, May 10 - October 18, 2014
- Kitsilano Farmers Market (map): Sundays, 10am - 2pm, May 11 - October 19, 2014
- West End Farmers Market (map): Saturdays, 9am - 2pm, May 31 - October 18, 2014
- Main Street Station at Thornton Park (map): Wednesdays, 3pm - 7pm, June 4 - October 1, 2014
- Kerrisdale Farmers Market (map): Saturdays, 10am - 2pm, June 14 - October 11, 2014
Yaletown Farmers Market (map): Thursdays, 2pm - 6pm, May 1 - October 2, 2014
Mt Pleasant Farmers Market (map): Sundays, 10am - 2pm, June 15 - October 12, 2014Fall/Winter Vancouver Farmers Market:
- Winter Farmers Market at Nat Bailey Stadium (map): Saturdays, 10am - 2pm, November 2, 2013 - April 26, 2014
The CSA Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society has a year-round Market Stand where you can buy produce and flowers grown at Vancouver schoolyard once a month.
- Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society Market Stand (map): Every first Thursday of the month, 3pm - 5pm, year-round
The Oak Street Farmers Market is the only Metro Vancouver farmers market to sell only organic produce and meat.
- Oak Street Farmers Market (map): Wednesdays, 3pm - 7pm, June 4 - October 29, 2014
An atypical "luxury" farmers market organized by the Shangri-La Hotel, this downtown farmers market specializes in local, gourmet prepared foods.
Shangri-La Farmers Market (map): Alternate Sundays (twice monthly), May - September (2014 Dates TBA)