Friday December 13, 2013
There are two companies performing The Nutcracker in Vancouver this December: the Goh Ballet--which opens this weekend--and Ballet BC's presentation of the Alberta Ballet's Nutcracker. For more info: Vancouver's Best Christmas & Holiday Concerts.
Wednesday December 11, 2013
Setting aside the stress of finding the perfect toy for your kids, Christmas and the winter holidays can be a lot of fun with young ones: it's true that their sense of joy and wonder at it all is a great antidote to the stress a lot of us feel around the holidays. To celebrate the holidays with your kids, I've put together several resources that will--hopefully--make the season easier and more fun for the whole family:
Holiday Attractions for Kids & Pictures with Santa
Shopping for Kids' Presents & Toys
Family-Friendly New Year's Eve: All Ages New Year's Events in Vancouver
Image Courtesy of VanDusen Botanical Garden
Monday December 9, 2013
This crazy cold weather is suppose to improve next week, but in the meantime, here are nine unusual / kooky things to do in Vancouver to get out of the cold:
- Jump, flip, do the splits at Richmond's Extreme Air Park, the largest trampoline park in Canada.
- Join an indoor beach volleyball league at 6 Pack Indoor Beach.
- See Star Wars Burlesque(!) at the Rio Theatre on December 14 & 15.
- Cook yourself at the hot pool at the Hillcrest Aquatic Centre.
- Visit the tropics at the Blodel Conservatory.
- Skateboard indoors at The Dry Spot.
- Climb the walls at Cliffhanger Climbing Vancouver.
- Make art at Collage Collage.
- Ice skate indoors, ride a mini train, and more at Christmas at Canada Place.
Of course, there are also more "usual" ways to get indoors, too:
Image Courtesy of Extreme Air Park
Friday December 6, 2013
This weekend really kicks off the Vancouver holiday attractions: all five Top 5 Vancouver Christmas Attractions are open, the Best Vancouver Holiday Light Displays are happening, and there are loads of Free Vancouver Holiday Events & Attractions, too.
- Bright Nights at Stanley Park
Stanley Park's Bright Nights is an annual Vancouver holiday tradition where over a million twinkly lights transform the forest around the famous Miniature Train into a winter wonderland. Runs through January 5 (closed December 25).
- VanDusen Botanical Gardens' Festival of Lights
The gorgeous VanDusen Garden turns festive with elaborate light decorations, a Candy Cane Tree, Gingerbread Walk, Santa's workshop, and much more. Runs through January 4 (closed December 25).
- The VSO's Traditional Christmas
One of the city's most beloved holiday musical traditions, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra presents this concert full of carols and favourite Christmas music. At various venues throughout the Lower Mainland through December 22.